Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sharing Simple Gifts of Contentment

I often wonder, when my heart seems troubled...how can I find the contentment I seek? What do I do to affect a change in me that will abate the hollow in my heart and flush my soul with peace? I take pleasure in the simplicity of everyday. I get upset if I have to hurry through my day without being able to watch my flowers bloom, catch the song of a bird in flight, observe the slow, steady rise and fall of my dogs chest as he sleeps peacefully in the sunny spot by the back door. These are the moments that are truly important to me.
When the days are cold, cloudy and gray and we are hurried with the business of living, it is hard to remember what gives us pleasure. It is hard to search our environment for that illusive tidbit that will spark warmth in our veins and end in a smile.
In my search today....I found a picture taken in my garden when the roses were giving their last glorious push before winter frost. I also found this quote that sums up perfectly how I aspire to live my life. I thought I would share them both with you today. It is amazing how the universe gives you what you need if you are open and receptive. May you each find in your heart today a symphony of your own.

"To live content with small means;
to seek elegance rather than luxury,
and refinement rather than fashion;
to be worthy, not respectable,
and wealthy, not rich;
to study hard, think quietly,
talk gently, act frankly;
to listen to stars and birds,
to babes and sages, with open heart;
to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely,
await occasions, hurry never.
To let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious,
grow up through the common.
This is to be my symphony."
~William Henry Channing

No comments:

Post a Comment